Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Rainy day = crafty day

Ever get bored?  I do.  Not sure how I get bored with all the things I could be doing.  I think I make time for boredom.  I obsessively sit and read blogs.  Food blogs and crafting blogs mainly.  While reading a blog for an entire day I was directed to this blog.  What a great site!!  I decided that today was the day to make the ribbon topiary mentioned on her site.  Why today?  It's raining and cold (again) so why not?  I had almost all the supplies on hand so the cost was going to be minimal...which is always a good thing!

I think picking the ribbon was the hardest part.  I knew I wanted it for a center piece on my kitchen table.  Problem was I had too many ribbon choices!!  I have a ribbon addiction.  I should.  I make hair bows.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  These are the ribbons I decided on:


There's about 400 pieces of ribbon sitting there!  Sounds crazy, doesn't it?  It was actually a lot of fun to make.  The tutorial was pretty easy to follow.  I decided that I wanted to loop all of my ribbon before I started putting any on the Styrofoam ball.  Which looked like this:


Then the fun began!  I learned that I'm not the type of person that can just stick these anywhere on the ball.  I actually had to think about where to put them.  For that reason this probably took me twice as long as it should have.  I also used 3 different sized ribbons in mine.  Not that it mattered, but that's why mine looks different than the one from the tutorial.  I just love how it turned out!  Now, if I had a table cloth to match...

Feel free to lay on your side to see this picture...I don't know how to make it the right way
Here's a close up of the top of it:


Imagine the colors you could do with these.  Baby showers, birthday parties and holidays to name a few.  I wanted to do one for Independence Day, but don't have any cool parties to go too (hint. hint).  Yes, my kitchen is done in traditional Mickey Mouse colors.  Did you have any doubt?








2 comments:

  1. So I'm reading this post on google reader, while I should be working, and I suck in my breath, and who's the first person I think of YOU! Well whaddya know....it's your freaking blog! ROFL....I really need more coffee today! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...that's great!! I was thinking of you when I made it;) Of course you would like it in BLUE!

    ReplyDelete